6/28/2016

UN/REAL


Photographer: Sara Lehtomaa
Models: Mirka, Tutta & Reetta @ Modelpoint
Makeup: Meliina Savela
Graphic Design: Sara Lehtomaa



I've decided to call this series of photos "Un/Real" as it pretty much sums up what I was thinking when I first had the idea. Now, I don't feel that art should necessarily always be explained as in the ideal case it should be able to speak for itself. But I want to share with you what I had in mind when I decided to shoot this. The concept is a rather wide one and this is just my interpretation of it; the blurry line between reality and imagination. Essentially what I want to say is that whatever seems real to you, whatever you see with your souls eye, is in a sense real. Since reality is experienced through the mind it shouldn't make any difference whether your experience is rooted in the material universe or not; the experience still remains. All too often people label reality with the concrete, as if the immaterial world of the mind wasn't part of that reality, undermining its importance. If anything it's even more important because it is located inside of each one of us controlling how we live our lives and fulfill ourselves in the material world. A very mind-boggling idea reduced into a fairly simple series of images.

       This project was initiated as long as a couple of months ago but due to having a ton of other stuff to concern myself with I never had the time to edit the photos. Until now. My holiday from uni officially started two weeks ago and now I've had more time on my hands to spend on photography. I really wan't to thank the people involved in this personal project of mine; Meliina, Mirka, Reetta and Tutta, you are the best! I'm also currently having a small one week holiday from work and I'm super excited about it! I've planned a bunch of goodness for this short period of time, including a three-day-trip to Helsinki (which I already did) to meet up with some of my friends and after that another three-day-trip to Stockholm to get together with my family there and to explore my home city. I'm praying we'll be blessed with good weather, which I so seldom get to enjoy of due to work. Somehow it always seems that my free days are doomed with rain and dark skies.

5 comments: